Friday, March 21, 2008

Snifffdogs have arrived with the Spring!



Hello Everyone!!!

I am a pre-service English second language teacher studying at Université Laval in Québec, QC. Although I am an Anglophone, which simply means that English is my mother tongue, I am not Anglo Saxon. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Anglo Saxons, but my grandparents on my father's side are Scots. That's why I am like I am! I'll give you my last dollar if you need it more than me, but don't try to make me believe something that you don't believe yourself.

So, we have broken the record for snow fall this year. Do you know how many snow shovels have been stolen in the past three weeks in Québec city alone? I don't know either, but I will get back to you on that one. I live in a small village of 352 people, and our shovels have also been mysteriously disappearing...Mystère et boules de gomme! For myself, I've been living in a modest room in residence for the last four years, and with the coming of spring, I'm starting to show some serious signs of cabin fever! If you see me having anything that resembles a melt down, just remind me to take a deep breath, and of course, give me a hug once in while. That's what my mom and dad always did. Once I get home to my husband, I chill out like everyone else. On the other hand, if you see me snifffing around the coffee machine, if you can, stick a danger sign on my back to warn the unsuspecting ones...I always get a hankering for coffee in the Spring, like one giant wake-up call. And yes, you guessed it! This is a leathal mix...an accident just waiting to happen.

On a more serious note, Dr. Patrick Duffley had to leave us for a while and I would like to wish him a speedy and fruitful recovery. He is by far one of the most interesting teachers I have ever had the pleasure of studying under. I am sure that my colleagues would agree when I say that we miss him 150%... although 150% of what I don't know, but we miss him to tears!

Todd

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Heather. Professor Duffley is, bar far, one of the best teachers I ever had. He is not teaching subjects that students enjoy but he is able to make it easy to understand. I wish him all the best and a fast recovery.

Marie-Andrée

Anonymous said...

A dear friend asked me to share my feelings
About this humble and reverent king
That we were fortunate enough to behold
For such a brief moment.

Little did I know back then
About this immense fountain of knowledge
Separating my world from his
That could so justly feed my curiosity
About the world surrounding me.

But from this withering fountain
I felt nothing but dryness
As I learned with absolute dismay
About his imminent departure.

I already miss him dearly
But he will most likely not miss me
As I am but one insignificant being
Out of so many
Who crossed his path at the wrong time.

So, I guess that I can only say
With complete honesty to Mr. Duffley
That I hope he recovers from this obscure curse
So that again may he fill
With wisdom and integrity
This fountain of knowledge
Separating him from me.

Christine